Free Guide -- Frequently Asked Questions
How do people become homeless?
A family member dies, become sick with disabling medical condition, become hospitalized, lose a job, get divorced, can't hold a job, be put in jail, turn 18 as a foster child, flee from violence, abuse and/or drug addiction, can't afford rent increase, etc.
Why should I be concerned?
- Homelessness causes, complicates and exacerbates serious health problems. Our neighbors without shelter are poor, sick, tired, hungry and desperate for our help. In our community where we live, people without shelter die almost 27 years earlier than the average life expectancy in the United States.
- God wants us to help the poor.
- Helping others is the right thing to do.
How can I help?
- Be compassionate to less fortunate humans
- Educate and involve yourself in solutions to homelessness
- Secure resolute commitment from local leaders
- Exert political will at all levels to end homelessness
- Understand that homelessness ends when everyone has a home
- A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal
- Make and distribute bags with food and supplies
- Volunteer with local homeless community resources
- Provide Bibles to local homeless communities
- Copy and distribute Free Guides and share the Facebook pages:
- Santa Cruz Free Guide
- Santa Cruz Guia Gratis
- Watsonville Free Guide
- Watsonville Guia Gratis
- Hope Pray Love
- Jesus Food Community
- Come hungry to Jesus Food Community and be filled every Wednesday 3pm at Harvey West Friendship Garden